While TfL ponders London-wide regulation and freezes Santander Cycles, borough-by-borough rollout of dockless in London continues. I’ve rated each borough based on its provision – current, announced and rumoured (so likely some errors) of this all-important last-mile mobility addition to our streets:
- A – 2+ operators in/confirmed, at least 1 of which covers/allows >75% of borough and the other covers/allows >25% of borough
- B – At least one operator, in/confirmed, covering significant part (>25%) of borough.
- C – Operator(s) only covering small area, and/or only rumours of new operator.
- D – No operators or positive news.
- + – Improvement expected soon.
- * – Simple projected % for 2018, based on Census data – 2011% and 2001-2011 rates of change
I intend to keep this table up to date as things change, and make corrections where I discover things are wrong above. In case it doesn’t view correctly for you, you can see the full table on Google Sheets here.
A summary of recent news:
- Wandsworth has a forthcoming pilot, and has published the responses to a questionnaire given to six potential operators (although, some blank lines suggest that some interesting rows, e.g. cost to the councils, may have been censored to spare commercial blushes.)
- Nearby Richmond is also planning on trialing dockless “by April”.
- Redbridge is bringing Ofo and Urbo in on 2 March. This will give Urbo a contiguous area across three north-east London boroughs, however all three are outer boroughs with generally lower existing cycling journeys or infrastructure than the inner city.
- Ofo was in to the eastern half of Camden last week, but then abruptly withdrew back to the Islington border.
- Ofo are also strongly rumoured to be arriving in Hammersmith & Fulham, soon.
- Southwark borough is also bringing in two bikeshare operators, per their recently published strategy document – Mobike are hinting that they are one and I understand that Ofo is likely to be the other. For both Ofo and Mobike this makes a lot of sense – Southwark is a big inner city borough only partially served by Santander Cycles, and importantly for these two operators, they already are in place in the City immediately to the north. The launch date is unconfirmed but believed to be in March.
- If you have any corrections, updates or tips please let me know via email (o.obrien (at) ucl.ac.uk) or Twitter DMs (@oobr).
I’ve also updated my previous map to show the latest state of affairs:
Previous (May 2018):